Dawn of Steam: First Light - Jeffrey Cook, Sarah A Symonds

Dawn of Steam was a wonderfully written story told through diary entries by a husband, with notes by his wife to explain things for the readers. This style of writing definitely reminded me of Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein" with how it was formatted. I enjoyed getting the story from both a professional and a more personal feel as the story progresses. I did think it was a bit slow to start, and I was a lil confused when I began reading, but after a few chapters I quickly was able to catch on. I honestly didn't know what the "Napoleonic Wars" were, so I had to look that up to get a better feel for the book, but for those that know about this time in history will easily get the story. There were a few elements of steampunk thrown in there, I don't think I'd necessarily categorize this story as such though. It's a great read for those who like a historical feel mixed in with their adventures without it being over the top.

The characters themselves were interesting, it felt like a motley crew of men and women. You had both the higher class influence going on, but you also had the more down to earth people along for the ride.

Overall, it was a fun well written story, I'm surprised this is a first novel, because it's so well done. I'd recommend it.

I was given this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.