The Calling - Louise G.  White

Carolyn is this crazy, strong willed feral tendency leaning teenager with a big heart and a strong moral compass. I don't think it's possible to ask for a better leading lady for a young adult borderline new adult genre book.

Normally, I tend to get annoyed with the heroines in teenager based stories but that never happened. I couldn't help but cheer for Carolyn as she faced each obstacle that was thrown at her. Some parts I was totally outraged and was like "do you not know who this girl is!?!?", and others I couldn't help but do a "awe moment".  Besides what I've already mentioned, I think I liked Carolyn so much because she realized she couldn't act like a spoiled brat and that raging at people wouldn't get her anywhere. Just like when she'd start to act bitchy she'd stop herself, or she'd at least acknowledge it and apologize for it. I thought this was a nice change.

Carolyn's love interest in this book happens to be Note, whom I couldn't get enough of. I really wanted more from his perspective. He just totally intrigued me from the very beginning. He's a bit of the strong silent type with a playful charm. Note's also a bit different from your everyday guy in terms of what he his.

Overall, I loved the different elements to this story. I thought the romance aspect was great, it didn't go to far, but it made sense with the plot. All of the characters were different, some were funny and left you wanting more, while others were a tad evil. The action and demons/otherworlders were very cool and definitely kept me reading.

The only issue I had with this story was the very beginning because the first couple chapters completely confused me. However, it quickly became apparent what was going on when Carolyn realized what was happening to her. So, really it wasn't too big of a deal, because the rest of the story flowed so well.

I'd definitely recommend this. I would say it's more for teens 16+ and adults.
I received this book in exchange for an honest review from the author.